google-site-verification=z75YTsJyPq9a4KbyimMZHCplj2TKzMo1NnxLuWPyRFI
Mount Moreland Inkonjane

 

The History of Mount Moreland

Mount Moreland HistoryMount Moreland HistoryMount Moreland History


Mount Moreland initially established in 1850 by John Moreland, he was The Byrne settler agency land surveyor. Although some of the Byrne settlers, including Macleroy, wished to have town lots in Verulam he refused, remembering that the founders of the Christian Emigration & Colonization Society had insisted on the Wesleyans being settled on a compact block of 12,000 acres and retaining their identity as a co-operative emigration.

The Byrne emigrants were therefore planted north of the Umhloti and Moreland’s arrangements apart from the survey were intended to please the emigrants and avoid recrimination. A second village was established a few miles from Verulam.
The site was chosen by a party of old colonists, eight in number, among them being Henry Milner and G.C.Cato, and the name ‘Mount Moreland’ chosen by them as well. It was situated on a small hill with a lake below and enjoyed the sea breezes blowing up the valley of the Umhloti; After the initial establishment of a church and other dwellings in Mount Moreland the land remained largely undeveloped due to the fact that cotton could not be grown and Mount Moreland was some distance off the main travelling and trading routes.
 

Years later the Tongaat Hulett Group acquired the land for the farming of sugar cane and poplar trees. 

Only in the 1970’s Mount Moreland was re-established as a township under the banner of Mount Moreland (Pty) Ltd. and the leadership of Mr Oberholzer. This all came about with the prospect of the soon to be built Airport at La Mercy and the need for housing in close proximity to the proposed development. 

After a few initial investors and the shelving of the proposed airport, Mount Moreland (PTY) LTD became a dormant company that was purchased by Tongaat Hulett and became their property development company known as Moreland developments, only recently changed to Tongaat Hulett Developments.

Mount Moreland grew at a slow pace over the years thereafter, development somewhat hindered at the uncertainty of the proposed on/off airport.

2010 Mount Moreland comprising of 98 homes, a rezoning on the area to be incorporated into Umhlanga Town planning scheme No1 with a mixed land use options to make the land more compatible with the King Shaka international Airport.

2013 December - Dube Tradeport purchased all the land belonging to Tongaat Hulett throughout Mount Moreland and surrounding area. 
 

Mount Moreland 1980's


Mount Moreland 1980's

Mount Moreland History at a glance

 Mt Moreland established -1850
 Rem of Village of Mt Moreland transferred -1876
 Surveyor General records compiled -1935
 La Mercy Airport earthworks - circa 1973
 Pietermaritzburg-Durban Region Regional Guide Plan - 1973
 Metropolitan Durban Draft Guide Plan – 1974
 DSB - Development Area declared (net area) - 1977
 North Local Council established - 1996
 Town and Regional Commission Section 48 Order - 1999
 eThekwini Municipality established - 2000
 Agreement between Provincial and Municipal Govt - July 2007
 Min: Environmental Affairs and Tourism ROD - Oct 2008
 Mount Moreland: Motivation for Rezoning - TPI - Aug 2009
 King Shaka International Airport opens - 1 May 2010
 Dube Tradeport purchased all Mount Moreland land belonging to Tongaat Hulett - Dec 2013
 Proposed rezoning deemed not fesable due to no supporting infrastructure - May 2014

 

Mount Moreland